Foul Territory

A sports blog with no specific focus, though I like wrestling and baseball

8.22.2004

The Big O

Saw some Olympic wrestling today. There was a single match of the women's wrestling on television in the 105.5 lb. weight class. Patricia Miranda put a beating on a Venezuelan. I'm taping what should be more wrestling around 4 in the morning. Maybe I'll get more than a single match.

My first thoughts on the women's wrestling, since I'd never seen it at a high level. The only women's wrestling I'd ever seen was Rachel at Messiah, and she wasn't very slick or experienced. This was much different. Though the wrestlers were only 105 pounds, the wrestling was more like men of a much higher weight class. I attribute it to the difference in strength in speed between men and women. Her technique was very good, though, as would be expected at the highest possible levels. I'm looking forward to more, as well as the men next weekend.
Andy, 5:52 PM