Foul Territory

A sports blog with no specific focus, though I like wrestling and baseball

10.04.2004

Marriage and Sports

I'm sure the interaction between marriage and sports is different for every couple. For example, not many people will have this exchange:
Me: I'll be home after 6, I'm wrestling tonight.
Janet: OK, see you when you get home
We do have some common ground, though. We both like baseball. Janet will watch a whole game if the Red Sox are involved or if it's the playoffs. Heck, if she wants, she can watch 10 straight hours of baseball tomorrow as soon as she gets home from work, but I doubt she will. The other sports/marriage dynamic is the TLC show issue. She loves these things, so I've seen my share. I can name a whole host of characters on such wonderful shows as Trading Spaces, While You Were Out, Surprise by Design, Househunters, What Not to Wear, Trading Spaces Family and so on. She couldn't name a single Dallas Cowboy this weekend, though she did know the coach's name, which counts I guess. I'm not really bothered by this. I really don't need her to know who Billy Cundiff or Richie Anderson are as long as she'll watch a little with me sometimes. She's good at that. She can read a book or whatever while I watch the Cowboys or Ohio State and explain to her that Nordonia High School is a mixture of the cities of Northefield and Macedonia, so it works out. I try to keep the sports watching to reasonable levels, since a lot of times I'd much rather read about some sports than actually watch them. For example, I've never actually watched a boxing match that was as exciting as the story written about it, but that's just my personal opinion.

So that's sports and marriage. I'm sure you will, or already have, figured out how it will work in your marriage.
Andy, 6:56 PM