Foul Territory

A sports blog with no specific focus, though I like wrestling and baseball

11.14.2004

Long Day in Winston-Salem

My friend Joe was involved with running a wrestling tournament in Winston-Salem yesterday, so Janet and I made the 90 minute trip west to hang out and help a little bit. There was a brief, 1 hour, technique clinic before the competition starring yours truly. I taught some wrestling to about 50 elementary, middle, and high school wrestlers before the tournament began. Joe asked me to do it, since the original clinician was unavailable. I tried to stick to my strenghts and keep their attention. Hopefully, I succeeded on both accounts. I enjoyed myself at least, and I hope at least one person learned something valuable. A couple of coaches/parents videotaped the thing, so maybe my accumulated wrestling knowlege will live on in the next generation of wrestlers.

After that, the tournament began. Janet and I had the chance to talk to Joe a lot, which was nice, since I hadn't seen him in a long while. He always has some stories to tell about stuff that has happened to him or people he knows. They're always entertaining. Later that night, Janet and I helped Joe make 200 copies of a 14 page packet of bracket sheets. Joe manned the copier while Janet and I took turns stapling and separating the big pile into smaller ones. Luckily, everything was in order and just needed to be separated. That took a while, then we had some dinner and finally hit the road for home around 10:30. Joe is still at the tournament today finishing things off, but one day was enough for Janet and me.
Andy, 7:10 PM